This is a World War 2 Emergency Battery which mounted two 6-inch guns. The battery was built between 1940 and 1941 when the threat of German invasion was considered possible.
The Battery remained operational until May 1945 and was operated by the 374 Battery of 551 Coast Regiment.
The site still clearly has one still complete storey Battery Command Post and a complete gun position with ammunition storage, crew shelter and what looks like two workshops.
English Heritage indicate the following addition structures which have not been confirmed, a second complete gun shed (possibly under new houses), a Bofors position and a spigot mortar position. It is also reported there was searchlight positions, possibly two.