Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue was originally part of the Duchy of Normandy and because of its location has often been involved in naval activity.
In 1001 an Anglo-Saxon raid on the Island was repulsed.
1692 Naval Battle of La Hongue took place between the French and an Anglo-Dutch Fleet. Twelve French ships were lost.
Following this defeat, two towers were built by the French, one at La Hongue and the other on Tatihou Island. These were designed by Benjamin de Combes a student of Vauban. Building commenced in 1694.
1810 a French frigate squadron anchored in Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue by British ship with the French Frigate Elisa lost.
The military harbour was developed between 1846 and 1852. This is now a marina.