King Rama V (King Chulalongkorn, 1868-1910) wished to protect Thailand from foreign Colonial Powers. One of his first acts on ascension was to restore existing forts and to build a modern fort at the estuary of the Chao Phraya River.
Construction started in 1884 and it was completed in 1893. It mounted seven 6-ins disappearing guns provided by Britain.
Shortly after becoming operation, on 13 July 1893 the battery, assisted by other naval vessels, engaged two French ships “Inconstant” and “Comete” that were attempting to sail up the Chao Phraya River to join the gunship “Lutin”. They were driven off.
The original 6-inch Armstrong Disappearing guns remain on their original gun mountings in the seven pits. The magazines, engine room and various buildings all remain complete.