Newhaven Fort was built on the cliff overlooking the harbour. There was originally a battery on the shore below, which was called the Lunette Battery.
Work commenced on the Fort in 1865 and was completed about six years later. The Fort was armed with:
3 x 10-inch Rifled Muzzle Loading Guns (sea face)
6 x 9-inch Rifled Muzzle Loading Guns (sea face)
2 x 9-ins Rifled Muzzle Loading Guns on Moncrieff Mounts (east face)
1 x 64pdr Rifle Muzzle Loading Guns on land front.
The Lunette Battery had 4 x 64 pounder Rifle Muzzle Loaders, with two of these emplacements still largely intact.
In 1906 the guns in the Fort were upgraded to 2 x 6-ins VII and 2 x 12 pounder 12cwt.
During World War 2 and Emergency Battery of 3 x 6-ins guns was built on the adjoining hilltop.
For Log in respect of Newhaven Fort prepared by Victorian Forts (www.victorianforts.co.uk) can be found at: