Fort Lade was built in 1798 and was know as Lade Fort or Dungeness No.1. Battery. It is one of at least eleven such coastal batteries built between Deal and Eastborne during the French Wars. The Fort was built to mount four or fie gun on traversing platforms in barrette mounts. To the rear of the battery was a guardhouse, barracks and artillery store. There was small magazines at each end of the gun emplacements. In 1860 the battery was remodelled to mount a single 7-inch breech loading gun and four 68-pounder smooth bore guns, all on traversing platforms.
For more information see the web site: https://theromneymarsh.net/dungenessbatteries.