The Royal Naval Dockyard in Halifax was operational from 1759 to 1905. Numerous defences were erected on the approaches to the inner harbour.
(Black and white image is 1901 showing the coaling wharf and HMS Charybdis – By Photographer: Notman Studio of Halifax – This image is available from Library and Archives Canada under the reproduction reference number PA-028460 and under the MIKAN ID number 3332891This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.Library and Archives Canada does not allow free use of its copyrighted works. See Category:Images from Library and Archives Canada., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6924755)