During the early phases of the American Civil War earth ramparts were built here, but by 1861 work started on a fort. By 1863 the granite fort had been built. Fort Taber referred to the earthwork battery, while the new granite battery was called Fort at Clark’s Point. In 1898 the granite fort was renamed Fort Rodman (Old Stone Fort).
The fortifications protect the New Bedford Harbour.