This fort provides defence on the Northern side of Staddon Heights, and overlooks the Royal Citadel.
This Fort was not orignally proposed in the 1860 Royal Commission Report, but was added in October 1860 ad names Fort Trunchapel. Work commenced at the end of 1861 and was completed in 1869.
It provided barracks for 200 men, a magazine and large traverse to provide protection from potential fire from the top of the height to the North.
Initially it was proposed to mount seven 9-inch, 12 ton RMLs on the two front facing towards the sea approaches. Thirteen guns protected the land approaches, and there were six mortars inside the fort.
In 1875 the armament was five 7-inch RBLs, four 64-pdr RBLs and three 8-inch RMLs. Sixteen RBL gun were mounted in the defences covering the trench.
In 1885 a 7-inch RBL Montcrieff gun was mounted on the SE salient, five 64-pdr RMLSs and eight 32-pdr SBBL gun for the caponiers. It is not know if all these guns were mounted, but by 1893 the five 64-pdr were in position.
In 1903 the Fort had four 40-pdr RBL and four 8-inch howitzers, presumably field artillery. It appears to have be disarmed before World War 1.
The Fort is now used as a club and has a large gym in the ditch on the north side.
See Fort Log at Victorian Forts Web Site : https://www.victorianforts.co.uk/pdf/datasheets/stamford.pdf.