This was built as the Catle Castrum Maris or the Castello al Mare, before being redeveloped by the Order of the Knights of St John. It was then called Fort Saint Angelo. During the Great Sieze in 1565 it was the HQ for the Order of St John who held off the Ottoman attacks.
Between 1800 and 1797 the fort was knows as HMS Egmont and later HMS St Angelo. The fort sustained considerable bomb damage during WW2. In 1998 the Upper Part of the Fort was handed back to the Sovereign Military Order of Malta while the remained has been restored by Malta Heritage.