Fort Slava is an Island fortress originally built by the Swedes to protect the approaches to Sweden. Building started in 1792 and the fortification was completed in 1794. The fort is circular and originally mounted 44 guns.
During the Crimean War (1853-6) the fortress was bombarded by a fleet of 14 British and French ships and sustained considerable damage. At this time is was being used as a prison and was of little military significance.