Fort Jeroivs was built of Ripapa Island in 1886 as a result of the perceived Russian scare. The building was not to be completed until 1895. The fort was built to mount four guns, 2 x 8-inch and 2 x 6-inch, with one 8-inch and one 6-inch disappearing gun still in place. The image by Megan Hieatt shows the 8-inch gun. The other image shows two gun barrels beside the pits.
A mine control station was completed in 1886.
Image of gun courtesy of Megan Hieatt – Own work, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5870051
Outside image of gun barrels by Megan Hieatt – Own work, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5870034