Fort Apollonia is in Beyin, Ghana. The name Apollonia was given to the area by a Portuguese explorer but the Swedes established a trading post here between 1655-1657. In 1691. The trading post was taken over the British between 1768 and 1770. The fort was abandoned in 1810 with the abolition of the slave trade, but was reactivated in 1836. In 1868 the fort was handed over by the British to the Dutch and they renamed it Fort Willem III. The situation was reserved in 1872 when the fort was returned to the British as part of a larger transfer of property on the Gold Coast.