Fort-Queyras was originally under the control of the Dauphiné in 1265. During the sixteenth century, the castle was caught up in the Wars of Religion. In 1695it held out when attacked by by troops from Savoy and England, although the village is partially destroyed . Vauban made improvements to the fortifications which was completed by about 1700. In the 1850s casemated batteries were added.
For more information on this fortification see http://www.fortified-places.com/queyras/ with an article by Jeroen van der Werf.