In 1860 the Royal Commission recommends the construction of a ten-gun battery, although as far back as 1817 a battery in this area had been considered. In 1861 Land was purchased and in 1862 the Defence Committee approve plan for a six-gun battery at Chapel Bay. Little seems to have been done until about January 1890 when worked commenced on a three-gun battery. 31st October on 1891 the battery was completed, armed with 10-inch RML guns.
In 1894 a 6-pdr QF Battery was completed to held protect the Submarine Mining Establishment and boom defences. By 1927 the fort is reported to have been armed with three 12-pdr QF guns.
1900 three 6-inch Breech Load guns mounted.
Some excellent images can also be seen on the Coflein Entry at https://coflein.gov.uk/en/site/92682/details/chapel-bay-fort
References held at the National Archives
Thanks to Alistair GK for the images.