Cape Town, South Africa. In about 1665 this site was chosen by Commissioner Isbrand Coske as the most suitable for a fortification in Cape Town. The star fort was completed in about 1691. From 1674 until about 1850 the castle remained the administrative centre and residence of the Governor. It then became the British Military Headquarters until handed over in 1917 to the South African Government. Although built by the Dutch many of the bastions have been adapted to take British guns.