Fort Doyle on Alderney Island was completed in 1805 at the height of the Napoleonic Wars. It was named after General Sir John Doyle.
This coastal battery had guns facing the sea and the rear (gorge) defended by a loop holed war.
It was initially armed with three 18-pdr guns and by 1860 the guns were on traversing platforms. There was also an 8-ins Howitzer in the Fort.
During WW2 the area was fortified by the occupying German troops.